Hats Off To You!

I have spent years of my life helping other families raise their children as both a preschool teacher and nanny. It was by far one of the most rewarding "jobs" I have had. I also spent many years bawling my eyes out with each passing Mother's Day because we had yet to start our family. It has been a dreaded day the past seven years for me and tends to be a painful reminder for many...and for many different reasons.

Last May of 2017, I had finally met my children but there were still miles and months between our forever home together. But this Mother's Day, 2018, they are home and we are all together!

You know I won't sugar coat it and I'll tell you it has been anything but easy. Luckily they sleep through the night and came potty trained so I got to skip all those fun times. :) But they also came with habits that we didn't approve of. They have seen things that we would never want a child to see. They know things that we may never understand. They come from a different culture, speak a different language, and have VERY different hair than mine!

And while it's quite possible that we couldn't be more different, we still very much need the same things: unconditional love, patience, grace, and more love. If they have taught me anything, it's that love conquers all. I thought I knew that already because of my incredible husband, but, truth be told, I hadn't fully fathomed what unconditional love was made of.



I'm certain they'll continue to teach me as I continue to teach them and I am beyond grateful for all of the women (and men) in our lives who have come alongside us, empathized, sympathized, encouraged, and empowered us to be the best version of ourselves during this giant transition for our family of four.

I'd be amiss if I didn't give a huge shout out to Drew, for keeping me sane and always knowing what I need to hear and when. This is why he's the man of my dreams right here, folks! My #2018 Mother's Day message:

Bri,

I just want you to know you ARE an incredible Mom. Think about what you've done for our kids. Even before you met them, you always were thinking about them and preparing our home for them. You prepared a very loving home, with no detail forgotten. 

Don't forget - you also learned a new language. Umm...that doesn't just happen. That's the love of a superwoman mom like you. You loved them enough that you went outside of your comfort zone for them. Oh by the way, you lived in Haiti for them. Who does that?? You do! Because your love is sacrificial. 

I knew you were an incredible woman when we were a "young" couple. Your love was always (and is always) fierce and you would do anything for us. I'm grateful for that. :) But, just when I thought you couldn't love more or give more, you blew me away with what you'd do for our kids. Bri, I know it sucks sometimes when the kids can drive us/you nuts....but you are killing it, really. Look how far they've come. It's because of your love. Your love is simply beautiful and it moves mountains. It is fierce and strong and protects. I love those moments when it's just me and the kids and they're asking where you are and what you're doing. Its so evident they love you. Nothing can replace a momma like you. :)

Thank you for being who you are. Thank you for being an amazing mom. Happy Mother's Day, beautiful. 

In awe of you...

This Mother's Day...and every day since we've been home, I am BEYOND grateful for ALL of YOU! Every card, every text, every special gift and thoughtful gesture. Each of you has taught me something and has inspired me to keep on keeping on. So hats off to the greatest village a girl could ask for!

Comments

Popular Posts