Home Sweet Home

Before yesterday, I had spent 56 days straight --nearly 2 months, or 1,344 hours to be exact-- in the presence of our two new additions. Night and day Ephraim and Isla were with me. We slept in the same room. We shared the same bathroom. We were never out of each other's sight...minus an hour or two of running important adoption-related errands in Haiti, my daily five-minute cold shower, or taking some much needed me-time on a hike. I have been there. Basically non-stop. Thank God for Aunt Kelly coming to visit and keep me sane until Papa came for a month! And a huge thank you to Meliana, Rocky, and Daniella at On a Hill Guesthouse for their support, encouragement, baby-sttting, translating, and hospitality. I'm also grateful that I began my drowsy, sleep-deprived entrance into motherhood in a warm and humid place like Haiti. It's much kinder to the skin and hides wrinkles well. Please be kind, Colorado.

E and I did splendidly on both flights home. E had lots of questions about who was flying the plane, why we didn't buy him an actual plane as opposed to just a seat, and why we couldn't fly on a little plane. He will soon learn that no turbulence is a glorious thing, especially flying into Denver. Our smooth flight convinced him that we weren't moving and that we had stopped flying. Such fun (with the occasional challenge to my still limited Creole) helping them discover all these new things and explaining how things work! On our Southwest flight to Colorado, we had a fantastic Flight Attendant named Jeremy who kindly gifted Drew and I with an adult beverage of choice and the kids with some fun activities and keepsakes. Ephraim is also very Haitian in that he likes to visit the bathroom frequently in-flight (you will appreciate that if you've ever flown into Haiti). 

They both thought it was hilarious that Drew and I drive our own cars and that someone (aka Rocky, Vladimy or a Moto-the only way they've known to get around in Haiti) wasn't chauffeuring us. It was also funny to them that we were going to cook since we had been spoiled at the guesthouse with a prepared breakfast and dinner. Eating at restaurants in Haiti was a confusing concept this time around. Whenever we would sit down, they would say "manje poko pare" which is "the food isn't ready." I had to explain that we first have to ask for the food that we want, then our server tells people inside the kitchen what to make and when it's ready, they bring it to us. So much to discover!!

Thankfully both the kids have slept fantastically in their own beds every night thus far. There were, of course, some nerves to be calmed and some fears to soothe, but they love their HOT bath before getting all snuggly in their new beds. 

I continue to be grateful for the time we spent learning Creole. I literally cannot even fathom what would be going through their little minds if I couldn't be conversational with them. There are still times that I have to look words up because they throw me for a loop and say something I've never heard before, but Ephraim is great at finding alternate ways to explain what he's trying to tell me. The trust that they have in us is tremendous simply because we can communicate. I would also be an anxious wreck if I hadn't had two months to establish very clear expectations and rules for our family. 

We're still working on finding a rhythm with doing school work, dancing, and playtime in between meals, showers, and juggling chores and/or work. I know it will just take time (3 days...I need to give us some grace!), but it's certainly quite an adjustment! Huge props to all you parents out there!


Lola has also been incredible with her new, loud little roommates and she's particularly happy to participate in clean-up duty under the table and first-thing-in-the-morning greetings. 

This Mama has already had her first solo "outing" to Target and the grocery store. That silence was a godsend! And who knew it was possible to love shopping at Target even more than I already did?! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I've also got a happy hour under my belt thanks to Drew's willingness to just "make it work" with the kids so I could sneak away and refresh with a friend. 
Speaking of Drew, I have to give him some major kudos. He was initially only supposed to be in Haiti for 2 weeks but he stayed because we anticipated that we'd be home in the following week or so. Instead of flying home and coming back, he made arrangements to stay (thank God because I don't think I could have survived him leaving again). That extra week or so in Haiti ended up being over 2 additional weeks and this guy was juggling at least ten different clients while collaborating with his colleagues in Colorado to take care of business. And, on top of all that, we were beyond frustrated with the runaround we were getting from Haiti regarding our passports and the final steps to get us home. He never dropped the ball...on his clients, his wife, or his kids. He was a present father and husband and still managed to do everything possible for his clients back here in Colorado. I've said it before and I'll say it again: He's my favorite.

Overall...we're just figuring out life as a family of four and learning all about each other. Things are good and we are beyond happy to be home. Thank you to everyone for your kind words, messages, and thoughtful gestures. We have so much to be grateful for and that includes you.

A little insight into recent experiences:
  • Isla loves to remind us that Jesus is everywhere anytime Ephraim is afraid.
  • They continue to tell us "It's not cold here" and when I tell them it will snow, they demand to know when.
  • Escalators are intimidating.
  • They think that every building we drive by, walk into, or point out has the potential to be our house.
  • They have fantastic manners and tell us "thank you for my food" at every meal.
  • They love Legos, baby dolls, and when Lola runs figure eights (as long as they're not in her path).
  • The shower head is very tickly.
  • Their Crenglish: is coming along nicely: "May I please have some chanje rad" ("Can I please change my clothes?"- when we're getting ready in the morning).
  • Ephraim keeps asking Lola if she speaks English.
  • New English Words
    • Peanut butter, bread, banana, yogurt, hot sauce, eggs, mountains, airplane, dog

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts